"How to update security key for Wi-Fi network in Windows 8?"
Security key for your Wi-Fi network is known as the wireless network password. It's really necessary to update the existing Wi-Fi password in a regular basis. If your wireless network being connected once by others, the next time it will automatically connected. In some cases, you may need to update the Wi-Fi network passcode in Windows 8.
Unfortunately, updating and changing the passwords for your wireless networks is harder in Windows 8 than it was in Windows 7. That's because the Manage Wireless Networks panel has been removed from these operating system. However, there are still ways for you to learn the password for your wireless network connection.
Way 1: Update Security Key for Wi-Fi Network in Windows 8
1. Go to Network Connections. There are two options for you to achieve it.
A. Press Windows key + R combination, type ncpa.cpl in the Run dialog and hit Enter to open Network Connections.
B. Or you can first go to the Network and Sharing Center. Open the Control Panel and click or tap Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center.
2. In the Network Connections window, right click over Wi-Fi and select Status.
3. In the Wi-Fi Status shown below, click Wireless Properties.
4. In the Wireless Network Properties window, for the Network security key section, change the password and input the new password. Click OK. You can now close Network Connections window.
Now you can reconnect your Wi-Fi network.
Way 2: Update Security Key for Windows 8 Wi-Fi Network using Command Prompt
1. Open Command Prompt by pressing Windows + R and typing cmd.exe and hitting Enter. Execute the following command: netsh wlan show profiles.
2. Use the following command to show the properties of that wireless network you want to change the security key: netsh wlan show profiles name+"profilename".
3. Substitute Wi-Fi network for which you're updating the password with profilename.
4. Now execute following command to clear the existing wireless password: netsh wlan show profiles name="profilename" key=clear.
When next time you'll connect to the same Wi-Fi network, it will ask you the new key. So enter the new security key and after verification you'll be connected.
Either way you choose from above, you can change the password of wireless network in Windows 8. But if you forgot your existing Wi-Fi password, apply Wi-Fi Password Recovery to get back the forgotten one immediately.