Last time we've introduced how to prevent other users from changing Windows 8.1/8/7 login password. Actually, there are so many security tips we should try to learn and use. Windows operating system administrator can restrict other users not to use some of the features. Shutdown features can be disabled in Windows 8.1/8/7/Vista. This time we'll focused on telling about the guide of how to prevent other users from accessing shutdown options when logging in Windows 8.1/8/7/Vista.
Following is giving the example in Windows 7, other Windows versions can refer to as the same way.
1. Type gpedit.msc in Run or Start search box and press Enter. It'll open Group Pilicy Editor.
2. Now go to: Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options.
3. In right-side pane, look for "Shutdown: Allow system to be shut down without having to log on" option.
The option would be set to Enabled. Double-click on it and set it to Disabled.
Apply the changes and it'll immediately remove Shutdown button from login screen.
4. To restore shutdown button, again set the "Shutdown: Allow system to be shut down without having to log on" option to Enabled.
If you don't want to use or can't use Group Policy Editor, you can take help of Registry Editor for the same task. Go to Method 2 below to restrict Windows user from accessing shutdown options at login screen.
Method 2: Using Registry Editor
1. Type regedit in Run or Start search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
3. In right-side pane, look for a DWORD shutdownwithoutlogon. Double-click on it and set its value to 0 as shown in following screenshot:
Restart or log off your system and shutdown button will get removed from login screen.
4. To restore shutdown button, change value of shutdownwithoutlogon to 1.
Either method you choose from above, you can prevent other to shutdown Windows computer. Try the best to set your Windows computer safe enough. For more features of Windows, click here to know more info about Windows tips.
Download SmartKey Windows Password Recovery Standard: