System image is exactly the mirrored copy of the operating system and contains the configuration of the OS, after restoring the computer from that backup image, the computer comes back to the state at which the image was created if your HDD or computer ever stops working.
This article will show you how to use a system image backup in Windows 8.1 and 8 to be able to use to restore the contents of your computer back to the state it was.
How to Use a System Image Backup in Windows 8.1 and 8?
In fact, it includes two parts, one is how to set up system image, the other one is how to backup file in Windows 8.1 and 8 with this system image. Check the two parts together in the following two options respectively.
Option 1: Create a Windows Backup of Files and Include a System Image
If you choose to create Windows backup to backup files in Windows 8.1 and 8, you can choose to check the box of Include a system image of drive. Doing this can also mean you have created a system image already.
1. When you create a Windows Backup in Windows 8.1 and 8, check the Include a System Image of Drives…… box.
2. Then, you can use Back up now or the schedule to create a Windows Backup including a system image.
Option 2: To Create a System Image without Windows Backup (with File History)
To set up a system image in Windows 8.1, you must navigate to the File History control panel (and not the main File History interface, which is in the Metro-style PC Settings). Using Smart Search, be sure to choose the right entry.
1. A. In Windows 8.1, open the control panel, and click or tap on the File History icon.
a. File History will do a quick "searching for drives" first.
b. In the left pane, click or tap on the System Image Backup link at the bottom, and go to step 2.
B. In Windows 8, open the control panel, and click or tap on the Windows 7 File Recovery icon.
In the left pane, click or tap on the Create a system image link.
2. If prompted by UAC, then click or tap on Yes.
3. Choose the location where you would like to save the system image, and click or tap on Next.
You can save a system image to either one or more CDs/DVDs, and external hard drive, any separate internal hard drive, or to a network location. External hard drive is the best backup protection.
4. Select any drive that you would like to also be included in the system image, and click or tap on Next.
5. Then, confirm your system image backup settings, and click or tap on Start backup. But if your settings are not correct, then click or tap on the back arrow at the top left corner to go back and make changes.
6. Windows will now start creating the system image backup.
7. Here Windows 8.1 can finish the whole process while Windows 8 need to click or tap on Yes or No for if you would like to create a system repair disc or not.
8. Here you can close the create a system image window.
By now, you have created a system image successfully. And you also have backed up your Windows 8.1 and 8 file on this system image already.
Download SmartKey Windows Password Recovery Standard: