SmartKey Windows Password Recovery Standard is an easy-to-use tool designed for resetting local administrator passwords on any Windows system. You only need to burn a bootable CD/DVD and boot password protected computer from CD/DVD to reset your lost password. The following tutorial shows you how to recover Windows password step by step.
The overall steps are:
1. Download a free demo version of SmartKey Windows Password Recovery Standard (the free demo version lists all the user names, but doesn't reset the passwords).
2. Double-click on the downloaded file to install this utility. You can install it on any PC you have access to.
3. The installation process is quick. Upon successful completion of the installation, an installation successful screen will be displayed! Enable the "Run SmartKey Windows Password Recovery Standard" check-box and click the "Finish" button. This utility will be launched automatically.
There are 2 options to create a bootable CD/DVD as the Windows password reset disk:
Windows Password Recovery Tool offers the default ISO image file to help you burn a bootable CD/DVD. If your computer can't read the default ISO image, please refer to the option 2.
1. Select "Default ISO Image" on the top menu. Inset a CD/DVD disk into the CD-ROM drive of the computer. Then on the software interface, specify the CD burning drive from the pull-down list of the CD/DVD options (USB Flash drive for Professional or higher version). Click "Burn" button to start burning an ISO image file to the CD/DVD.
2. In the pop-up window, select "Yes" to go on burning (all data in this CD/DVD will be erased).
3. The Windows password reset CD/DVD has been created successfully. Click "OK" to finish the operation.
4. The burning successfully completes. Take out the password recovery bootable CD/DVD and put it into your locked computer to reset the lost or forgotten password.
If your computer can't read the default ISO image, you can make a new ISO image with built-in Windows Setup CD and then burn a bootable CD/DVD. The program will provide the built-in Windows Setup CD, so you simply follow steps below.
1. Select "Create New ISO Image". Insert your Windows Setup CD. Both Windows 32-bit and 64-bit Setup CDs are supported. Click "Browse" button to find BOOT.WIM file there. Then click "Next" button to continue.
a. You are allowed to set a password on the Windows Passwords Reset CD/USB disk to protect the SmartKey Windows Password Recovery Standard boot disk. Please check the box and type your own password in the field.
b. To recover password for a SCSI/RAID/IDE hard drive, please check "Add drives for SCSI/RAID hard drives" and click "Browse" to copy additional drives from your hard drive. Normally, these drives will be listed in the "Pick up the drives for your hard drive" field automatically. If they are not listed there, please go to manufacturer's site to download them firstly.
2. Insert a blank CD/DVD to CD-ROM drive. SmartKey Windows Password Recovery Standard supports CD/DVD only, please select "Make a password reset CD/DVD" if you want to make a password reset CD or DVD disk. Then click "Next" button to begin burning newly created ISO image to CD/DVD.
3. This software will copy the necessary files from the Windows Setup CD into the new ISO image file first, and then burn the new ISO image file to CD/DVD. The whole process will take about 5 minutes. Please wait patiently. Once finished, please click "OK" button to confirm.
1. Insert the newly created CD/DVD to the locked computer and reboot the computer from the password recovery CD/DVD.
2. When the CD/DVD boots, you'll see Windows Password Recovery Standard is initializing (see screenshot below).
3 . After loading, you will see a window like below if you have set password for Windows Boot CD/DVD. Enter the password and click "OK" button to begin password recovery. If you haven't set password, skip this step.
4. Select the Windows installation in which you would like to reset the password.
5. Select the user account whose password you want to remove from and then click "Reset" to proceed.
6. Once you reset password successfully, a pop-up window as below will come out. Please click "OK" to close it. Then click "Reboot" to restart your computer and login Windows system without any password.