Everyday there are thousands of personal accounts are hacked. If you ever use one password for multiple accounts, you are exponentially increasing your vulnerability to being hacked. Fortunately, two-step verification (two-factor verification) can help keep the bad guys out of your account and add an extra layer of security to your Google account. With two-step verification, you can set up Gmail to require a special code for login in addition to your password. The code comes through your phone and is valid for 30 seconds. Go through this post to see how to secure your Gmail with two-step verification.
How to Password Protect Gmail Account with Two-Step Verification?
Follow the detailed steps to secure your Gmail account with two-step verification as below:
1. Sign into your Gmail account. Click on a thumbnail of your avatar on the right side of the top menu bar, and then click "Account" to update your settings.
2. You will land on your Account Settings page. On the left menu bar, click "Security".
3. In the two-step verification section, you'll see if you already have two-step verification turned on. If it says "OFF", click "Edit" to set the feature up.
4. You'll see a page that briefly walks through the steps of setting up two-step verification. Hover over the steps for more detail. Once you're ready, click "Start setup".
5. Type in your cell phone number associated with your Google account. Google will send a verification code to your phone and you will need to enter that before you can sign in.
6. Select whether you'd like to receive a text message or Google voice call with your verification code. Press "submit". Then wait for the code to arrive to your phone and enter it in.
7. Decide whether to trust this device. Check the "trust this computer" box.
8. Press "OK", and you have just set up two-step verification for your Google account.
How to Login into Gmail Account with Two-Step Verification?
After finishing how to encrypt your Gmail account with two-step verification, make sure you have known how it works:
1. Enter your password. Whenever you sign in to Google you'll enter your username and password as usual.
2. Enter a code from your phone. Then you'll be asked for a code that will be sent to you via text, voice call, or mobile app.
3. Keep it simple. During sign in, you can tell us not to ask for a code again on that particular computer. You'll still be covered, because we'll ask for codes when you or anyone else tries to sign in to your account from other computers.
After securing your Gmail account with this two-factor verification, you can use your Gmail account comfortably. In case you would forget your Gmail password, keep Password Recovery in handy.